- Location: Open to any location, but an E4E chapter location highly preferred.
- Team: National Organizing & Field Team
- Posted: August 23rd, 2019
- Application deadline: October 1st
- Hiring Manager: Evan Stone
Our nation’s history of racism and oppression have led to inequities across sectors of society, including education, leaving millions of students—including an overwhelming number of students of color and low-income students—unprepared for college, career, and life. While research shows that classroom teachers are the single most important in-school factor in improving student achievement, their diverse voices are consistently left out of education policy decisions. For far too long, teachers have been treated as subjects of change rather than as agents of change.
Founded by public school teachers, Educators for Excellence is a growing movement of over 34,000 educators, united around a common set of values and principles for improving student learning and elevating the teaching profession. We work together to identify issues that impact our schools, create solutions to these challenges, and advocate for policies and programs that give all students access to a quality education.
What We Do
Our Theory of Change is grounded in two long-term goals that are inextricably linked: better outcomes for our students and the elevation of the quality and prestige of the teaching profession. We achieve this by:
- Building a movement of forward-thinking teachers through grassroots organizing in communities across the country
- Identifying and training teacher leaders within that broader movement to take on key positions of influence in their schools, districts, states, and perhaps most importantly, within their teachers unions
- Creating teacher-led policy recommendations in order to bridge the divide between policymakers and the classroom
- Advocating for implementation of teacher-generated policy ideas
- Scaling this model to reach critical mass in the communities we serve and across the country
Educators for Excellence envisions an equitable and excellent education system that provides all students the opportunity to succeed and elevates the teaching profession.
As a key member of the Senior Leadership Team (SLT), the Vice President of Organizing and Field (VP, F&O) will play a critical role in driving E4E’s short and long-term organizing strategy. The organization has experienced a period of rapid growth and is seeking a leader who can set vision for building and using power, improve the quality of our organizing tactics and program, drive staff and member training, and collaborate with chapters to run effective campaigns. Over the next several years, E4E will work to continually increase the impact of our membership base and the influence of our teacher leaders to shift entrenched systems, elevate the teaching profession, and improve student learning. The Vice President of Organizing and Field will design and oversee this strategy and report into the Co-CEO.
There are three primary functions of the Vice President of Organizing and Field:
- Set the vision and strategy for E4E’s organizing program to increase member engagement and leadership of our campaigns and support members who are pursuing positions of influence in their unions;
- Manage a high-functioning team that effectively trains, coaches, and supports E4E chapter staff and teacher leaders to achieve their goals;
- Serve as an organizational leader and member of the Senior Leadership Team (SLT) by working to support a positive team culture and elevating our mission and vision for change in the sector; and
- Represent the organization in critical national education reform conversations.
All work and responsibilities will flow from these priorities, each of which is detailed below:
Set the vision and strategy for E4E’s organizing program to increase member engagement and leadership of our campaigns and support members who are pursuing positions of influence in their unions:
- Develop the vision and plan for organizing to ensure that we achieve our organizational goals
- Communicate, motivate and build buy-in for our organizing and union strategies across the organization and external stakeholders
- Write, implement and edit strong data-informed organizing and field plans.
- Evaluate and improve the effectiveness of our organizing, training, and union leadership programs to ensure maximum impact
- Facilitate and support effective organizing and campaign planning aligned to our org-wide strategic plan and priorities across E4E’s six regional chapters in collaboration with the VP of External Affairs and the VP of Regional Strategy
Manage a high-functioning team that effectively trains, coaches, and supports E4E chapter staff and teacher leaders to achieve their goals:
- Manage a team of seven full-time employees to maximize their impact and ensure they are effectively supporting our organizing program and campaigns in chapters
- Facilitate stronger integration and cross-collaboration with the External Affairs team to ensure our programming and campaigns are integrated and effective
- Support our Organizing and Training team to build and execute effective staff development trainings, design and facilitate the rollout of a comprehensive teacher leader program, and to continually improve our Educator’s in Power training
- Support our Regional Field Directors to coach and train our local chapter staff to execute effective organizing drives and high quality campaigns
- Support the ongoing training and development of our local Managing Directors of Organizing to be effective managers and strategic leaders of their local organizing program and campaigns
- Develop direct relationships with E4E’s most engaged Teacher Leaders to support their leadership trajectory and achieve their goals
Serve as an organizational leader and member of the Senior Leadership Team (SLT) by working to support a positive team culture and elevating our mission and vision for change in the sector:
- Embody the core values in all interactions, and serve as a culture bearer and enterprise leader across the organization
- Serve as an active member of the SLT by supporting the overarching strategy of the organization and working collaboratively with other Vice Presidents and Executive Directors to improve our effectiveness and internal culture
- Amplify E4E’s theory of change, mission, and vision across the sector by attending conferences, speaking at events, and communicating externally about our impact
- At least 10 years of professional experience in community, political, campaign, union, or issue organizing
- Skill and experience with setting strategy and managing teams to effectively execute on ambitious goals
- Expertise in unions and experience with union organizing
- Significant experience as a trainer and coach that can both inspire and run effective adult learning experiences
- Exceptional critical and strategic thinking skills; adept at looking at challenges and executing multi-pronged solutions in collaboration with others, ideally in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Ability to manage complex and differentiated campaigns across multiple different political environments
- Deep experience and effectiveness with direct and lateral management, especially across lines of difference
- Ability to work autonomously, in ambiguous situations; solutions-oriented with strong judgment for the right course of action in any given situation
- An orientation towards service-leadership, thriving on helping others be their best selves and anticipating their needs before they are communicated
- The consistent ability to remain flexible, calm under pressure and adaptive to change as priorities shift; reliability, follow through, and a high “do-to-say” ratio
- Deep experience working with senior leadership to drive forward key priorities, and a track record of results when managing complex projects/initiatives; ability to drive action individually and through others to meet deadlines and achieve results
- Ability to synthesize large volumes of quantitative and qualitative data to produce recommendations and adapt strategic plans
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated and proven ability to build relationships across lines of difference, influence, motivate and inspire others
- Eagerness to learn and grow to improve practice
Moreover, all E4E staff demonstrate our Core Values:
- Respect and Professionalism: We act with personal responsibility, respect, and commitment to high quality work, to our organization and to each other
- Solutions Orientation: We consistently approach even the most complex challenges with positivity, proactive solutions, and the assumption of best intentions
- Growth Mindset: We intentionally create opportunities to develop ourselves and others in order to learn and continuously improve
- Dynamic Leadership: We courageously take ownership, empower others, set bold visions, think strategically, and adapt to change
- Diversity and Inclusiveness: Educational inequity is linked to race, power, and privilege, and so we take action to shift this paradigm by reflecting on our own identities, creating an inclusive and diverse community, and leveraging our differences as strengths
Benefits and Salary
Educators for Excellence believes in providing employees with benefits to support self-care, wellness, and financial stability. We value the whole person and provide benefits such as; paid time off, health insurance plans, competitive salaries that include pre-tax benefits, and cell phone reimbursements. See more information about our benefits here.
Candidates must apply before our application deadline of October 1st.
Educators for Excellence is an equal opportunity employer. We predominantly partner with low-income communities of color. Therefore, though race and other identity markers are never used to make final hiring decisions, we place a particular focus on recruiting staff members who share the backgrounds of our communities.