Senior Director of Growth, Development & Operations
Hiring Manager: Chiara Grabill, Chief Growth Officer
Location: E4E chapter locations preferred (New York, NY; Los Angeles, CA; Chicago, IL; St. Paul, MN; Boston, MA; New Haven, CT) but remote applicants should feel free to apply
Application Deadline: July, 17 2022
Role Tier: 4 - Director
Founded by public school teachers, Educators for Excellence is a growing movement of educators, united around a common set of values and principles for improving student learning and elevating the teaching profession. We work together to identify issues that impact our schools, create solutions to these challenges, and advocate for policies and programs that give all students access to a quality education. We do this by treating teachers as agents of change instead of subjects of change because research shows that classroom teachers are the single most important in-school factor in improving student achievement.
What We Do
Our Theory of Change is grounded in two long-term goals that are inextricably linked: better outcomes for our students and the elevation of the quality and prestige of the teaching profession. We achieve these goals by changing policy at the district, state, and federal levels and transforming our teachers’ union to be more student-focused, democratic, diverse, and anti-racist. United around our Declaration of Teachers’ Principles and Beliefs, we are building a powerful movement to lead this change by:
- Organizing educators who share a common vision of equity and excellence in schools,
- Training and supporting teacher leadership, and
- Advocating for teacher-led recommendations at all levels of government, within teachers’ unions, and in the public conversation around education.
Educators for Excellence envisions an equitable and excellent education system that provides all students the opportunity to succeed and elevates the teaching profession.
E4E organizes anti-racist, student focused educators, builds their leadership capabilities and collective power through issue based advocacy campaigns, and supports them to take on positions of leadership in their schools, districts, and most importantly, in their unions. We have made incredible progress organizing teachers to take action to uplift their students and profession. Through E4E, tens of thousands of educators have signed on to a common vision for elevating the teaching profession and improving student outcomes; thousands of teacher members have successfully advocated for and won equity and excellence focused policy changes in their local communities; and hundreds have trained for and taken on positions of elected and appointed leadership in their schools, districts, and unions.
With chapters currently operating in Los Angeles, New York, Connecticut, Chicago, Boston, and Minnesota, E4E’s organizing culture is grounded in our passion for impacting educational systems and revolves around an innovative, roll-up-your-sleeves spirit backed by a shared commitment to continuous professional growth. We know that our work is more urgent and important than ever during this unprecedented moment in our nation's education history.
Educators for Excellence’s Growth Strategy and Development team is seeking a Senior Director of Growth & Development Operations to lead the development team's knowledge management systems and drive internal processes for donor communications and board building and management. The Director will also serve as a leader on the team and contribute significantly to evolving the team’s culture, systems, and workflows to meet the needs of this unique and unprecedented moment.
With chapters currently operating in Los Angeles, New York, Connecticut, Chicago, Boston, and Minnesota, E4E’s organizing culture is grounded in our passion for impacting educational systems and revolves around an innovative, roll-up-your-sleeves spirit backed by a shared commitment to continuous professional growth.
Scope: What is the nature of the role?
Reporting to the Chief Growth Officer, the Senior Director of Growth & Development Operations will work in close partnership with leaders across the organization to support the systems, execution and operations to raise at least $12 million in FY23 and incrementally increase national revenue in subsequent years as well as build a pathway for growth strategy for future years. Key responsibilities for the Senior Director of Growth & Development Operations will include:
- Set vision, design, and implement strategy for efficient and effective development operations
- Oversee the process and implementation of a fully functioning CRM system for development
- Lead learning and development capacity building sessions for development and other staff furthering development work on systems and strategy in addition to codifying and ensuring access to shared resources with clear processes
- Serve as the liaison with finance and operations to lead the drafting of and ensure the implementation of efficient workflows, clarity of roles, effective shaping of budgets, and effective financial tracking of development work
- Support the development of centralized marketing materials and tools to support flow and segmentation of outreach
- Lead/support annual and long-term development planning processes; oversee and improve tracking systems and tools
- Work with CGO to prepare materials for all-staff sharing, Board of Directors and executive team meetings to share updates on strategy and progress on development
- Partner with senior leadership to shape the vision and execution of growth strategy for E4E consistent with a new strategic plan
- Build, track and manage project plans for the execution of growth strategy - from pilot to expansion
- Partner with development and program to shape concept papers and strategic decks to articulate our goals and strategy regarding growth
- Partner with finance to build the budgets and models for growth plans
- Share and facilitate ongoing updates and feedback sessions with key stakeholders including executive team, the Board of Directors, leadership team and all-staff on growth progress and reflection to shape future pathways
- Lead selected organizational partnerships and vendor relationships shaping and execution to further growth work
Team Management and Development:
- Support development team agendas with CGO to effectively use development team time, including impact plan reviews, quarterly team milestone tracking, and quarterly step-backs
- Set and model high standards of performance and individual outputs as a team and organizational leader.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of a diverse, inclusive, solutions-oriented, high-trust team and organizational culture.
Cultural leadership: As a leader and manager on the Growth Strategy and Development team, the Director will be a champion of E4E’s Core Values and Commitment to Anti-Racism. This bold, inclusive leader actively embodies anti-racist practices in all aspects of their work, and pushes the organization to continue to grow and improve within these values by modeling a strong and inclusive culture for their team and the streams of work they manage. The Director will support a team culture where all people can thrive, grow, and develop in order to further the mission of E4E.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- At least 8 years of nonprofit strategy and operations experience (or equivalent) at increasing levels of responsibility
- Successful track record of implementing and working with development systems including CRM and gift tracking and processing
- Strong project management background including usage of multiple systems for project advancement
- Experience managing direct reports and working across teams to drive organizational success.
- Passion and commitment to E4E’s mission; experience working on issues relevant to our work; experience working in a policy/advocacy/systems-change organization preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Ability to produce and deliver clear, concise, formal and informal oral and written communications to a variety of audiences.
- Exceptional organizational skills, high level of efficiency, and ability to manage operations and multiple projects at one time with precision.
- Comfort and fluency with SalesForce and operations workflow required
- Comfort and fluency with, G-suite, Slack, and presentation formats like Powerpoint preferred.
Transportation: Often works out of the office (or home office); currently virtual due to Covid-19
- Time will be divided between office meetings with staff within the organization, self-directed execution of tasks, and meetings with donors or potential donors.
- Must be able to work occasional weekends and evenings for fundraising and programmatic events and other priorities.
- Must be willing to work long hours when needed to reach fundraising deadlines.
Core Values: What beliefs do you embody? How do you approach your work?
- Dynamic Leadership: You think strategically, set bold visions for our national donor portfolio
- High Quality Work: You ensure all deliverables meet our standards of excellence.
- Achieve Ambitious Goals: You envision beyond the status quo.
- Adjust Course: You pivot effectively in a dynamic landscape.
- Communication: You listen actively and respond appropriately.
- Solutions Orientation: You have a deep belief in our mission and take part in finding solutions for the problems we identify.
Positional Skills - What can you do well?
- Sense of urgency and demonstrated self-motivation, ability to work both independently and collaboratively to meet ambitious goals, and a practical ability to get things done.
- Excellent relationship-building and communication skills; a persuasive negotiator able to utilize relationships to mobilize others to action.
- Wisdom and good judgment; keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills to enable sound decision-making.
- Ability to craft compelling narratives that distill complex, “wonky” policy and advocacy priorities into emotionally resonant stories that are accessible for donors.
- Strong commitment to establishing a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment and to developing and retaining talent.
- Grace, professionalism, and discretion; comfort working with various stakeholders, including senior leaders, teachers, donors, board members, and other partners
Functional Knowledge - What do you know a lot about?
- General knowledge of fundraising best practices, with deep expertise in foundation fundraising and grant-writing.
- Experience with prospect discovery and building effective strategies to compel new major donor investment.
- Demonstrated past experience planning and executing integrated, strategic, and innovative communications in support of achieving fundraising goals.
- Fluency in education policy and political landscape preferred; alternatively, demonstrated capacity to quickly learn and deploy this nuanced content.
Educators for Excellence (E4E) is committed to valuing team members holistically in appreciation of their contribution to the organization’s success and for the good they create for society as part of our mission. While there are many facets of the “Total Rewards” package that come with working at E4E, compensation is a significant factor in a team member’s decision to work here. As such, we strive to attract, retain and reward top talent by offering competitive salaries and benefits that are equitably and transparently administered. Therefore, we do not engage in salary negotiations - our first offer is always our best offer!
The salary band for this role is $115,465 - $173,199.
*based on NYC cost of labor and adjusted for candidates in different geographic regions.
Within this range, our competitive, non-negotiable salary offer will be based on a candidate’s relevant experience and credentials, role-related competencies assessed through our robust hiring process, and geographic location.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
All new employees are required to comply with E4E’s mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy, which requires all staff be fully vaccinated prior to the start of employment. An employee will be considered fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving the requisite number of doses of a COVID-19 vaccine. Employees may request an exemption as a reasonable accommodation due to a medical reason or sincerely held religious belief.
E4E abides by each state’s requirements, and acknowledges they may change over time. If you advance forward to an interview, you will have the opportunity to ask questions about this job requirement.
Benefits & Applying
Educators for Excellence (E4E) believes in providing employees with benefits to support self-care, wellness, and financial stability. We value the whole person and provide benefits such as; paid time off, health insurance plans, competitive salaries that include pre-tax benefits, and cell phone reimbursements. See more information about our benefits here.
Applications should be submitted by our application deadline.
E4E is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship, or other characteristics protected by state or federal law or local ordinance. E4E has a zero tolerance for discrimination, racism, xenophobia or misogyny in any form in our workplace. We strive to create a workplace where everyone feels a strong sense of belonging.
Accommodations: We are committed to creating an inclusive and accessible interview experience and will ensure that all candidates are provided with reasonable accommodations that allow them to participate in the interview process. To request an accommodation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
EEOC questionnaire: We place a particular focus on recruiting staff members who share the backgrounds of the communities we serve. We encourage all applicants to complete our EEOC questionnaire as part of your application process (the form will be sent directly to you after completing your initial application). Completing the questionnaire will help ensure our People & Equity team are attracting a diverse pool of qualified candidates for each of our open positions. Please note this information is not included with your application, and our hiring managers do not have access to race and other identifying information at any point in the interviewing or hiring process, including after a hire is made.