Our nation’s history of racism and oppression has led to inequities across sectors of society, including education, leaving millions of students— including an overwhelming number of students of color and low-income students—unprepared for college, career, and life. While research shows that classroom teachers are the single most important in-school factor in improving student achievement, their diverse voices are consistently left out of education policy decisions. For far too long, teachers have been treated as subjects of change rather than as agents of change.
Founded by public school teachers, Educators for Excellence is a growing movement of 34,000 educators, united around a common set of values and principles for improving student learning and elevating the teaching profession. We work together to identify issues that impact our schools, create solutions to these challenges, and advocate for policies and programs that give all students access to a quality education.
What We Do
Our Theory of Change is grounded in two long-term goals that are inextricably linked: better outcomes for our students and the elevation of the quality and prestige of the teaching profession. We achieve this by:
- Building a movement of forward-thinking teachers through grassroots organizing in communities across the country
- Identifying and training teacher leaders within that broader movement to take on key positions of influence in their schools, districts, states, and perhaps most importantly, within their teachers unions
- Creating teacher-led policy recommendations in order to bridge the divide between policymakers and the classroom
- Advocating for implementation of teacher-generated policy ideas
- Scaling this model to reach critical mass in the communities we serve and across the country
Educators for Excellence envisions an equitable and excellent education system that provides all students the opportunity to succeed and elevates the teaching profession.
Educators for Excellence, Connecticut is seeking a full-time organizer to recruit volunteer educators and develop their leadership in standing up for a more just and equitable education system. This position is a deeply rewarding opportunity to leverage interpersonal skills and a commitment to social justice through educational advocacy.
With chapters currently operating in Los Angeles, New York, Connecticut, Chicago, Boston, and Minnesota, our organizing culture is grounded in our passion for impacting educational systems and revolves around an innovative, roll-up-your-sleeves spirit backed by a shared commitment to continuous professional growth.
Reporting to the Senior Outreach Director, Organizers collaborate on a team that is charged with managing organizing operations in a designated geographical area. Organizers recruit, engage, and mobilize teachers to help elevate teacher voice, student outcomes, and the teaching profession overall. Organizers engage educators in conversations, hearing ideas and recommendations about education policy and sharing opportunities to connect with like-minded colleagues and to dialogue with stakeholders at the city, district, and state levels. Organizers also collect and enter data to track meaningful information and strategically plan around their assigned organizing area.
In this position, you will:
- Utilize the Declaration of Principles and Beliefs to extend the message and mission of E4E.
- Help educators find their own voice and power through one-on-one conversations/meetings, school visits and community events to develop a sense of community and urgency for advocacy.
- Organize, plan and execute policy, advocacy and networking events to engage current and potential members
- Use your unique network and experience to build innovative events to organize, inspire, and motivate educators.
Identify & Train Educator-Organizers
- Connect educators to relevant networking, leadership, and advocacy opportunities within the organization.
- Help educators to find their own voice and power through teacher policy teams and advocacy campaigns.
- Recruit, train, and retain teacher-leaders through the E4E’s educator leadership programs.
- Leverage social media (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc.) to engage current and potential members.
- Encourage educators to be active and take on leadership roles within their union.
Mobilize Educators To Create Recommendations & Advocate for Change
- Mobilize current and potential E4E members around teacher-led campaigns that advocate for progressive changes in public education.
- Support educators to take actions that push decision-makers in teaching unions, legislatures, school boards, and other seats of power to do better by students and teachers.
- Gather educators’ input on key educational policies and issues locally and nationally.
- Assist teachers in creating student-focused, equity-minded union policy.
- At least 2 years of professional experience, including experience in at least one of the following fields:
- Pre-K-12 education instruction
- Community organizing, campaign organizing or union organizing
The Ideal Candidate:
- Is deeply motivated and inspired by the stories of others and connecting people to action.
- Has excellent interpersonal skills, demonstrated leadership ability to motivate others, and demonstrated ability to connect with diverse communities and groups of people.
- Is able to travel around the district several times a week to meet with educators and is flexible with working some evenings and weekends to accommodate the schedules and needs of educators.
- Communicates effectively in both written and verbal formats.
- Is both a team player and a self-starter, including exceptional organization and time management skills.
- Is willing to work through challenging conversations and situations and sees them as opportunities for growth.
Benefits & Applying
Educators for Excellence believes in providing employees with benefits to support self-care, wellness, and financial stability. We value the whole person and provide benefits such as; paid time off, health insurance plans, competitive salaries that include pre-tax benefits, and cell phone reimbursements. See more information about our benefits here.
Educators for Excellence is an equal opportunity employer. We predominantly partner with low-income communities of color. Therefore, though race and other legally protected characteristics are never used to make final hiring decisions, we place a particular focus on recruiting staff members who share the backgrounds of the communities we serve.