Hiring Manager: Gage Salicki, Senior Outreach Director
Location: Hartford, Connecticut (currently remote due to Covid-19)
Application Deadline: January 5, 2021
Role Tier: I - Assistant, Coordinator, Organizer, Associate
Our nation’s education system is leaving millions of students—including an overwhelming number of students of color and low-income students—unprepared for college, career, and life. While research shows that classroom teachers are the single most important in-school factor in improving student achievement, their diverse voices are consistently left out of education policy decisions. For far too long, teachers have been treated as subjects of change rather than as agents of change.
Founded by public school teachers, Educators for Excellence is a growing movement of 34,000 educators, united around a common set of values and principles for improving student learning and elevating the teaching profession. We work together to identify issues that impact our schools, create solutions to these challenges, and advocate for policies and programs that give all students access to a quality education.
What We Do
Our Theory of Change is grounded in two long-term goals that are inextricably linked: better outcomes for our students and the elevation of the quality and prestige of the teaching profession. We achieve this by:
- Building a movement of forward-thinking teachers through grassroots organizing in communities across the country
- Identifying and training teacher leaders within that broader movement to take on key positions of influence in their schools, districts, states, and perhaps most importantly, within their teachers unions
- Creating teacher-led policy recommendations in order to bridge the divide between policymakers and the classroom
- Advocating for implementation of teacher-generated policy ideas
- Scaling this model to reach critical mass in the communities we serve and across the country
Educators for Excellence envisions an equitable and excellent education system that provides all students the opportunity to succeed and elevates the teaching profession.
Educators for Excellence, Connecticut is seeking an Outreach Director to empower educators to have a voice in the decisions that impact their work with students. This position is a deeply rewarding opportunity to leverage your influencing skills and a commitment to equity through thoughtful advocacy campaigns.
With chapters currently operating in Los Angeles, New York, Connecticut, Chicago, Boston, and Minnesota, our organizing culture is grounded in our passion for impacting educational systems and revolves around an innovative, roll-up-your-sleeves spirit backed by a shared commitment to continuous professional growth.
Reporting to the Senior Outreach Director, Organizers collaborate on a team that is charged with mobilizing educators and implementing strategies in a designated geographical area. Organizers recruit, engage, and mobilize teachers to help elevate teacher voice, student outcomes, and the teaching profession overall. Organizers engage educators in conversations, hearing ideas and recommendations about education policy and sharing opportunities to connect with like-minded colleagues and to dialogue with stakeholders at the city, district, and state levels. Organizers also collect and enter data to track meaningful information and strategically plan around their assigned organizing area.
- Experience: At least 2 years of professional experience, including experience in at least one of the following fields.
- Pre-K-12 education instruction
- Community organizing, campaign organizing or union organizing
- Technical Skills: Knowledge of Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word and corresponding Google Suite products, Understanding of reporting databases (i.e. Salesforce) preferred, very comfortable with phone and email outreach
- Transportation: Often works out of the office, in the field meeting with teachers and driving engagement through advocacy (currently virtual due to Covid-19)
Responsibilities: What actions will you leverage day-to-day?
- Inspire membership and activism among teachers
- Develop and manage leaders to run issue advocacy and union election campaigns
- Collect, enter, and leverage data
Core Values: What beliefs do you embody? How do you approach your work?
- Inclusiveness - you make space for the ideas of others around your work
- Achieve Ambitious Goals – you envision beyond the status quo
- Adjust Course – you pivot effectively in a dynamic landscape
- Communication – you listen actively and respond appropriately
- Deep Belief in Mission – you align to education equity and antiracism
Positional Skills - What can you do well?
- Organizing Planning and Executing - you drive your own schedule to balance team meetings, outreach tactics and data analysis
- Influencing & Motivating – you make compelling cases and agitate around educators concerns
- Cultivating Relationships & Collaborating – you prioritize relationship building with educators, stakeholders and partners
- Making Decisions & Demonstrating Judgment – you think critically through a lens of core values
- Tracking, Measuring & Analyzing –you develop processes for data analysis
- Learning & Developing – you opt into opportunities to build skill and implement best practices
Functional Knowledge - What do you know a lot about?
- Organizing (union, campaign) - you know how to drive campaigns that lead people to take action
- Planning & facilitating events and training - you will design & execute your outreach tactics from start to finish
- Education landscape (especially union) - you understand who the key players are in our industry and how to influence them.
Benefits & Applying
Educators for Excellence believes in providing employees with benefits to support self-care, wellness, and financial stability. We value the whole person and provide benefits such as; paid time off, health insurance plans, competitive salaries that include pre-tax benefits, and cell phone reimbursements. See more information about our benefits here.
Applications should be submitted by our application deadline by January 5, 2021.
Educators for Excellence is an equal opportunity employer. We predominantly partner with low-income communities of color. Therefore, though race and other identity markers are never used to make final hiring decisions, we place a particular focus on recruiting staff members who share the backgrounds of the communities we serve.