Hiring Manager: Evan Stone
Location: Flexible, Chapter Locations Preferred (currently remote due to COVID-19)
Application Deadline: Saturday, June 12th
Role Tier: 4 - Director, Managing Director, Deputy
Our nation’s education system is leaving millions of students—including an overwhelming number of students of color and low-income students—unprepared for college, career, and life. While research shows that classroom teachers are the single most important in-school factor in improving student achievement, their diverse voices are consistently left out of education policy decisions. For far too long, teachers have been treated as subjects of change rather than as agents of change.
Founded by public school teachers, Educators for Excellence is a growing movement of over 35,000 educators, united around a common set of values and principles for improving student learning and elevating the teaching profession. We work together to identify issues that impact our schools, create solutions to these challenges, and advocate for policies and programs that give all students access to a quality education.
What We Do
Our Theory of Change is grounded in two long-term goals that are inextricably linked: better outcomes for all students, especially those impacted by opportunity gaps, and the elevation of the quality and prestige of the teaching profession. We achieve these goals by changing policy at the district, state, and federal levels and transforming teachers’ unions to be more student-focused, democratic, diverse, and anti-racist.
United around our Declaration of Teachers’ Principles and Beliefs, we are building a powerful movement to lead this change by:
- Organizing forward-thinking educators with a shared vision of equity and excellence in schools,
- Training and supporting teacher leadership, and
- Advocating for teacher-led recommendations at all levels of government, within teachers’ unions, and in the public conversation about education.
To further our mission to increase equity in education, we seek a National Director of Digital Advocacy and Organizing to oversee the organization’s digital program and digital organizing strategy, including the website, digital advocacy tools, social media channels, member and supporter emails, and online advertising. The National Director of Digital Advocacy and Organizing will help reach the national organizational goals for organizing, advocacy, fundraising, and communications, while working closely with chapters to design digital campaigns for their advocacy campaigns. They will work closely with the Organizing and Field Team to develop a digital organizing strategy that will be executed by each of the six local chapters. In addition they will work with the communications team to ensure message and brand consistency across the organization.
The ideal candidate is a data-driven, results-oriented, social media aficionado who enjoys working across teams to develop creative, purposeful content that will inspire teachers to act on education policies that affect our students and the teaching profession. This person is passionate about politics and excited about working on campaigns that effect change on a local and national scale, and recognizes the potential impact digital technology has to be a critical lever for change in the broader movement towards educational equity. This person has experience building a comprehensive digital program to build power in alignment with a grassroots organizing model.
Set the vision for and mange the effective execution of digital tools and channels:
- Oversee organization-wide email communication, audience-segmentation, and membership engagement strategy
- Set the vision for and manage the digital team to ensure all social media channels align with E4E’s brand and voice, engage key audiences, and engage teachers in our work
- Oversee website strategy to build awareness of our work and engage key audiences
Support chapter advocacy and union campaigns:
- Provide strategic advice, guidance, and coaching for chapter advocacy and union campaigns to effectively use digital channels;
- Collaborate with Communications, Policy, , Organizing and Field, and chapter team members to incorporate digital tactics into campaign plans, identifying audiences, targets, and strategies to support meaningful impact;
- Increase activism of E4E's membership through digital actions and email engagement tied into campaigns
- Develop a strategy for the use of online ads to build lists of potential members and engage a broader cross section of educators in our campaigns
- Coordinate with organizing staff on engagement priorities and programming.
Design and oversee digital organizing strategy to build online educator communities:
- Develop an overarching strategy, resources and trainings to support national and chapter staff in expanding offline organizing efforts to online platforms;
- Collaborate with national and chapter team members to build and effectively manage digital spaces for organizing purposes (i.e. chapter Facebook groups)
- Cultivate and maintain digital communities using strategies that identify existing and potential teacher leaders to work on chapter advocacy and union campaigns
Provide strategic training:
- Develop training to support chapter staff with strategies and tactics for digital engagement, advocacy, and community building;
- Develop digital content guidelines, trainings, and resources for staff, volunteers, and members.
- Coach staff on best practices.
- Collaborate with the Data team to create regular and purposeful reports on the performance and progress of E4E's digital community building and engagement efforts;
- Provide key analysis of data to inform digital advocacy and community building strategy
Manage a high performing team:
- Serve as a model of our Core Values and promote a strong team culture
- Set goals and expectations for direct reports and support their performance and ongoing professional development
- A bachelor’s degree and at least 8 years of relevant professional experience, including digital experience within the campaign/community organizing, and/or advocacy space
- Experience in a consulting or consulting-type capacity, capable of building bridges and supporting chapters in a national role
- Previous digital and/or communications experience, with strong preference for candidates with online community management experience
- Experience overseeing or executing digital ad campaigns (paid search, facebook/instagram, twitter, display and video)
- Previous political or advocacy campaign experience, with strong preference for candidates with campaign planning experience
- Demonstrated high-quality written and oral communication skills
- A dedication to progressive education reform, and an understanding of the hard, sustained work this role requires in order to achieve those reforms
- A proven track record and ability to multitask under tight timelines and high pressure
- Prior managerial experience and an ability to coach and develop a high performing team
- Prior experience creating a comprehensive and cohesive experience for audiences
- Keen attention to detail, a solutions-oriented approach to solving problems, and a positive outlook when faced with challenges
- Prior professional experience working in PreK-12 education
- Prior experience creating and facilitating employee trainings
- Experience with Drupal and/or Wordpress, HTML, and Salesforce
Moreover, all E4E staff must demonstrate our Core Values:
- Respect and Professionalism: We act with personal responsibility, respect, and commitment to high quality work, to our organization and to each other
- Solutions Orientation: We consistently approach even the most complex challenges with positivity, proactive solutions, and the assumption of best intentions
- Growth Mindset: We intentionally create opportunities to develop ourselves and others in order to learn and continuously improve
- Dynamic Leadership: We courageously take ownership, empower others, set bold visions, think strategically, and adapt to change
- Diversity and Inclusiveness: Educational inequity is linked to race, power, and privilege, and so we take action to shift this paradigm by reflecting on our own identities, creating an inclusive and diverse community, and leveraging our differences as strengths
Educators for Excellence believes in providing employees with benefits to support self-care, wellness, and financial stability. We value the whole person and provide benefits such as; paid time off, health insurance plans, competitive salaries that include pre-tax benefits, and cell phone reimbursements. See more information about our benefits here.
Please submit your application by Friday, May 21. Applications can be addressed to Evan Stone, Co-Founder and Co-CEO, and should include a resume and cover letter. Please ensure that all materials address relevant experience and your understanding of how this position connects to the overall mission of E4E.
Educators for Excellence is an equal opportunity employer. We predominantly partner with low-income communities of color. Therefore, though race and other identity markers are never used to make final hiring decisions, we place a particular focus on recruiting staff members who share the backgrounds of the communities we serve.