Application Deadline: March 29th (11:59 PM)
Please review our Frequently Asked Questions document for additional information
Our nation’s education system is leaving millions of students—including an overwhelming number of students of color and low-income students—unprepared for college, career, and life. While research shows that classroom teachers are the single most important in-school factor in improving student achievement, their diverse voices are consistently left out of education policy decisions. For far too long, teachers have been treated as subjects of change rather than as agents of change.
Founded by public school teachers, Educators for Excellence is a growing movement of 34,000 educators, united around a common set of values and principles for improving student learning and elevating the teaching profession. We work together to identify issues that impact our schools, create solutions to these challenges, and advocate for policies and programs that give all students access to a quality education.
What We Do
Our Theory of Change is grounded in two long-term goals that are inextricably linked: better outcomes for our students and the elevation of the quality and prestige of the teaching profession. We achieve this by:
- Building a movement of forward-thinking teachers through grassroots organizing in communities across the country
- Identifying and training teacher leaders within that broader movement to take on key positions of influence in their schools, districts, states, and perhaps most importantly, within their teachers unions
- Creating teacher-led policy recommendations in order to bridge the divide between policymakers and the classroom
- Advocating for implementation of teacher-generated policy ideas
- Scaling this model to reach critical mass in the communities we serve and across the country
Educators for Excellence envisions an equitable and excellent education system that provides all students the opportunity to succeed and elevates the teaching profession.
Through our work, we provide an opportunity to help shift an inequitable educational system caused by systems of oppression. E4E has expanded to six chapters across the country since 2010 and is looking this year to deepen in impact and excellence. Therefore, we focus advancement on increasing excellence within roles so that each employee’s work directly impacts our mission and vision.
To further our mission of equity in education, our Connecticut team is hiring a Managing Director of Outreach (MDO). Reporting to the Executive Director-Connecticut, the Managing Director of Outreach (MDO) will develop and implement E4E’s organizing model for the local chapter, with a focus on building E4E’s membership, developing members’ leadership skills, and tracking progress to inform strategy. The Managing Director will directly manage two Senior Outreach Directors who coach, support and manage 13 Outreach Directors. With the support of the Executive Director, the MDO will oversee the training and development of the entire outreach team. The Managing Director of Outreach will ensure that Senior Outreach Directors leverage best practices as they manage Outreach Directors to build and deepen relationships with teachers. The MDO will also work closely with the Managing Director of External Affairs to help teachers learn about, network around, and take action on policy issues.
In this position, you will:
Design and Implement Organizing Strategy
- Set E4E-Connecticut’s organizing vision and strategy, including the identification of target schools; the allocation of staff and other resources; and the development issue-based campaigns
- Refine our organizing tactics to build membership, increase teacher engagement in our advocacy campaigns and transform educators into organizers
- Strengthen team strategy by tracking and analyze membership growth and engagement, conducting sound data analysis and ensuring data integrity
- Build relationships with key education stakeholders across the state on behalf of E4E, identifying shared stances and strategic opportunities for E4E to collaborate with other organizations
Manage and Lead
- Embody E4E’s core values and model organizational stewardship for the outreach team and for the organization more broadly
- Recruit, lead, coach, and retain our outreach team by directly managing two Senior Outreach Directors who support thirteen Outreach Directors
- Ensure the team’s professional growth and development in order to implement our local campaigns successfully
- Maintain strong culture across the outreach team by managing through a lens of diversity and inclusion, and equipping Senior Outreach Directors with the skills and resources to do so in their management
- Encourage creative thinking around and support the expansion of organizing strategies and norm best practices
As the ideal candidate, you have:
- Bachelor’s degree and 7+ years of professional experience
- Track-record of successfully setting vision and direction for a team, and directly managing, coaching and developing a diverse team to achieve ambitious results
- Experience coaching and managing organizers (ideally through layers) on electoral or issue based campaigns (issue based campaigns influencing legislation highly preferred)
- Prior experience conducting rigorous data analysis to inform strategy (experience working within SalesForce, VAN, and/or Excel strongly preferred)
- Exceptional organizational skills, high level of efficiency, and ability to manage at the macro and micro level with precision
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, cultural competence, and demonstrated ability to influence and motivate others, and cultivate trusting relationships with staff and key stakeholders from diverse backgrounds
- Adept at navigating a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, and an ability to manage complexity and moving parts with ease
- Prior experience coaching, managing, and developing young professionals
- A willingness to travel throughout CT
- Knowledge of the key players and issues impacting the CT educational landscape
- Deep understanding and knowledge of the CT political landscape including key political figures, coalitions, and/or labor organizations
Moreover, all E4E candidates exemplify our core values.
Benefits and Applying
Educators for Excellence believes in providing employees with benefits to support self-care, wellness, and financial stability. We value the whole person and provide benefits such as; paid time off, health insurance plans, competitive salaries that include pre-tax benefits, and cell phone reimbursements. See more information about our benefits here.
Applications can be addressed to Andréa Comer, Executive Director of E4E-Connecticut, and should include a resume and cover letter. Please ensure that all materials address relevant experience and your understanding of how this position connects to the overall mission of E4E.
Educators for Excellence is an equal opportunity employer. We predominantly partner with low-income communities of color. Therefore, though race and other identity markers are never used to make hiring decisions, we place a particular focus on recruiting staff members who share the backgrounds of the communities we serve.