LA Digital and Communications Manager
Hiring Manager: Sarina Sande
Location: Los Angeles
Application Deadline: Sunday, April 25
Role Tier: 3 - Manager
Our nation’s education system is leaving millions of students—including an overwhelming number of students of color and low-income students—unprepared for college, career, and life. While research shows that classroom teachers are the single most important in-school factor in improving student achievement, their diverse voices are consistently left out of education policy decisions. For far too long, teachers have been treated as subjects of change rather than as agents of change.
Founded by public school teachers, Educators for Excellence is a growing movement of 35,000 educators, united around a common set of values and principles for improving student learning and elevating the teaching profession. We work together to identify issues that impact our schools, create solutions to these challenges, and advocate for policies and programs that give all students access to a quality education.
What We Do
Our Theory of Change is grounded in two long-term goals that are inextricably linked: better outcomes for our students and the elevation of the quality and prestige of the teaching profession. We achieve these goals by changing policy at the district, state, and federal levels and transforming our teachers’ union to be more student-focused, democratic, diverse, and anti-racist. United around our Declaration of Teachers’ Principles and Beliefs, we are building a powerful movement to lead this change by:
- Organizing educators who share a common vision of equity and excellence in schools,
- Training and supporting teacher leadership, and
- Advocating for teacher-led recommendations at all levels of government, within teachers’ unions, and in the public conversation around education.
Educators for Excellence envisions an equitable and excellent education system that provides all students the opportunity to succeed and elevates the teaching profession.
Educators for Excellence, Los Angeles is seeking a Digital and Communications Manager to promote our mission and vision for a more just and equitable education system. The Digital and Communications Manager will do this by leveraging the latest digital organizing strategies, building and maintaining media relations and curating mission and campaign aligned communications. This position is a rewarding opportunity to leverage creativity and innovation and a commitment to social justice through digital communications.
With chapters currently operating in Los Angeles, New York, Connecticut, Chicago, Boston, and Los Angeles, our organizing culture is grounded in our passion for impacting educational systems and revolves around an innovative, roll-up-your-sleeves spirit backed by a shared commitment to antiracism and continuous professional growth.
Reporting to the Deputy Director of Campaigns, the Digital and Communications Manager will collaborate on a team that is charged with recruiting volunteer educators and developing their leadership in standing up for a more just and equitable education system. We push for systems-level change through organizing state and local advocacy campaigns, as well as supporting teachers to take on leadership roles in their unions.
We are launching this new role across the country to ensure teacher voices are at the center of teaching and learning in Los Angeles. This role will regularly engage reporters to uplift the voices and perspectives of E4E teachers. They will support our movement to build an online community of antiracist teachers fighting for their students. They will create tactics and strategies to activate our membership and deliver on significant policy wins for teachers and kids. They will use communications and digital tactics to push our unions to become more antiracist, democratic, and student focused. In this role you can change the conversation about public schools in your city to one that is driven by teachers and focused on students.
Scope: What is the nature of the role?
The Digital and Communications Manager will function as a program leader specializing in advancing campaigns through both traditional media and digital communications. Key responsibilities for the Digital and Communications Manager will include:
- Manage media relations, developing contacts with members of the media and maintaining press contact list
- Proactively identify opportunities for placing articles, op-ed pieces, and letters to the editor in partnership with the national communications team
- Coordinate media interviews with E4E staff and members
- Equip senior leaders with talking points, training, and other preparation related to earned media opportunities
- Analyze local press coverage and keep E4E staff apprised of recent media narrative
- Track and report on press coverage of E4E-LA and members
- Build and manage the E4E-LA communications calendar to identify, track and plan chapter announcements, events and press plans
- Write op-eds, press releases, advisories, letters to the editor, and other media pieces from a variety of voices
- Ensure the authentic elevation of diverse voices by working directly with organizers and teachers to deliver E4E-member written content
- Plan and manage the design and production of public facing organizational literature
- Train staff and members on communications best practices
- Support organizers to develop campaign messaging and materials that are impactful, consistent, and targeted to various audiences
- Draft digital advocacy, social media, blog and website content pertinent to E4E-LA
- Author email blasts, newsletters, and other local communications for a variety of audiences including E4E members and partners
- Work with local staff to develop tailored digital messaging in support of local campaign objectives
- Serve as community manager and moderator for E4E-LA groups (including Facebook groups, WhatsApp threads, etc.)
- Serve as the liaison between the chapter and national digital staff in sourcing and drafting digital content as well as upholding best practices for email strategy and audience segmentation
- Ensure local priorities are reflected in national digital programming and communications calendar
- Create and push out local digital content on national social channels during live events
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Three to five years of professional experience in related field
- Successful track record of leveraging data analysis to drive decisions, writing, proofreading and editing content, and managing digital campaigns
- Passion and commitment to E4E’s mission; experience working on issues relevant to our work; experience working in a policy/advocacy/systems-change organization preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communications, Journalism, or related field or equivalent experience
- Ability to produce and deliver clear, concise, formal and informal oral and written communications to a variety of audiences
- Exceptional organizational skills, high level of efficiency, and ability to manage operations and multiple projects at one time with precision
- High level proficiency, comfort and fluency with SalesForce, G-suite, Slack, Microsoft Office, Social Media and presentation formats like Powerpoint preferred.
Transportation: Often works in the office with minimal travel requirements (currently virtual due to Covid-19)
Core Values - What beliefs do you embody? How do you approach your work?
- Equity: We look for opportunities to redistribute power in response to inequity.
- High Quality Work: You ensure all deliverables meet our standards of excellence.
- Achieve Ambitious Goals: We strive to have a transformational impact on the staff, teachers, and students we serve.
- Adjust Course: We take a resilient attitude towards roadblocks and adjust strategies to ensure progress to goal.
- Communication: We value clear and thoughtful word choice, tone and body language.
- Ownership: We take part in finding solutions for the problems we identify.
- Deep Belief in Mission: We believe change is possible, so we equip ourselves to achieve it.
Positional Skills - What can you do well?
- Organizing, Planning and Executing - Able to organize, track and manage workflow and resources; clearly articulates plans to others, develops systems to prioritize tasks; executes according to set timelines.
- Cultivating Relationships & Collaborating - Develops a sense of rapport and trust with staff and seeks opportunities to share expertise and leverage the strengths of others; comfortably communicates with external stakeholders
- Making Decisions & Demonstrating Judgment - Makes strategic decisions, even in ambiguous situations; weighs factors both within and outside of one’s control to mitigate risk; exercises discernment when involving others in decision-making, leverages data when appropriate
- Thinking Holistically & Making Connections - Connects the work to the big picture, identifies opportunities to streamline tactics and integrate streams/functions
- Conducting Rigorous Analysis - Uses rigorous logic around aggregate data; performs a variety of analyses to inform decisions with broad impact and solve problems requiring diverse perspectives
Functional Knowledge - What do you know a lot about?
- Demonstrated knowledge of media relations and press releases
- Exceptional communication skills written, verbal, and platform press releases
- Experience writing effective email campaigns and demonstrated ability to understand digital platforms and tactics to build engagement and activists
- Ability to craft compelling narratives that distill complex, “wonky” policy and advocacy priorities into emotionally resonant stories that are accessible via social media
- Comfort working with various stakeholders, including senior leaders, teachers, media, and other partners
- Demonstrated past experience planning and executing integrated, strategic, and innovative communications in support of achieving campaign goals.
- Fluency in education policy and political landscape preferred; alternatively, demonstrated capacity to quickly learn and deploy this nuanced content.
Benefits & Applying
Educators for Excellence believes in providing employees with benefits to support self-care, wellness, and financial stability. We value the whole person and provide benefits such as; paid time off, health insurance plans, competitive salaries that include pre-tax benefits, and cell phone reimbursements. See more information about our benefits here.
Educators for Excellence is an equal opportunity employer. We predominantly partner with low-income communities of color. Therefore, though race and other identity markers are never used to make final hiring decisions, we place a particular focus on recruiting staff members who share the backgrounds of the communities we serve.