Hiring Manager: Tamara Glozman, National Director of Accounting and Payroll
Location: E4E chapter locations preferred (New York, NY; Los Angeles, CA; Chicago, IL; St. Paul, MN; Boston, MA; New Haven, CT) but remote applicants should feel free to apply
Application Deadline: Tuesday, October 12, 2021.
Role Tier: 2 - Associate
Our nation’s education system is leaving millions of students—including an overwhelming number of students of color and low-income students—unprepared for college, career, and life. While research shows that classroom teachers are the single most important in-school factor in improving student achievement, their diverse voices are consistently left out of education policy decisions. For far too long, teachers have been treated as subjects of change rather than as agents of change.
Founded by public school teachers, Educators for Excellence is a growing movement of 34,000 educators, united around a common set of values and principles for improving student learning and elevating the teaching profession. We work together to identify issues that impact our schools, create solutions to these challenges, and advocate for policies and programs that give all students access to a quality education.
What We Do
Our Theory of Change is grounded in two long-term goals that are inextricably linked: better outcomes for our students and the elevation of the quality and prestige of the teaching profession. We achieve these goals by changing policy at the district, state, and federal levels and transforming our teachers’ union to be more student-focused, democratic, diverse, and anti-racist. United around our Declaration of Teachers’ Principles and Beliefs, we are building a powerful movement to lead this change by:
- Organizing educators who share a common vision of equity and excellence in schools,
- Training and supporting teacher leadership, and
- Advocating for teacher-led recommendations at all levels of government, within teachers’ unions, and in the public conversation around education.
Educators for Excellence envisions an equitable and excellent education system that provides all students the opportunity to succeed and elevates the teaching profession.
With chapters currently operating in Los Angeles, New York, Connecticut, Chicago, Boston, and Minnesota, our organizing culture is grounded in our passion for impacting educational systems and revolves around an innovative, roll-up-your-sleeves spirit backed by a shared commitment to continuous professional growth.
The Accounting Associate will sit on our growing National Finance and Operations Team. The National Finance and Operations Team supports E4E’s national and chapter-based programmatic work by providing exceptional customer support and execution in the areas of accounting, cash management, payroll and benefits, accounts payable and receivable, budgeting, and financial reporting and analysis.
The Accounting Associate is charged with facilitating and/or managing several accounting processes, including accounts payable, expense reimbursement and bank deposits. The Accounting Associate will also maintain existing vendor relationships and build strong rapport with new vendors.
Responsibilities: What actions will you leverage day-to-day?
Execute and Improve Key Accounting Processes:
- Learn, manage and improve on key accounting processes to include: accounts payable, the receipt of mail; expense reimbursements; check deposits; and month end reconciliations.
- Maintain vendor profiles and build relationships, make sure payments are made in a timely manner.
- Maintain Fixed Assets module.
- Collect and maintain all supporting documentation for annual audits.
Finance Team Support:
- Support the National Finance and Operations Team by assisting in the budgeting and financial reporting process.
- Help improve control environments by creating and maintaining financial and process records, documentation and maintaining integrity to fiscal controls.
- Provide data for quarterly, monthly and annual reports for various stakeholders.
- Execute other accounting special projects as needed.
- Experience: At least 2 years of professional experience
- Technical Skills: Experience with Intacct & Microsoft Office; Deep Excel knowledge preferred, Experience with Docusign, ADP and Concur and/or a strong ability and desire to learn systems and software tools quickly preferred
- Transportation: Currently virtual due to Covid-19
Core Values: What beliefs do you embody? How do you approach your work?
- Responsiveness - We keep each other in the loop to keep the work moving forward.
- Inclusiveness - We make space at the table for all, so everyone feels like they belong.
- High Quality Work - We ensure all deliverables meet our standard of excellence.
- Ownership - We take part in finding solutions for the problems we identify.
- Equity - We look for opportunities to redistribute power in response to inequity.
- Evaluation and Reflection - We look for opportunities to celebrate success & show growth in ourselves and in our work.
Positional Skills - What can you do well?
- Organizing Planning and Executing - Able to organize, track and manage workflow and resources; clearly articulates plans to others, develops systems to prioritize tasks; executes according to set timelines
- Influencing & Motivating – Inspires committed and positive action towards accomplishing individual and collective organizational work goals
- Cultivating Relationships & Collaborating – Develops a sense of rapport and trust with staff and seeks opportunities to share expertise and leverage the strengths of others; comfortably communicates with external stakeholders
- Making Decisions & Demonstrating Judgment – Makes strategic decisions, even in ambiguous situations; weighs factors both within and outside of one’s control to mitigate risk; exercises discernment when involving others in decision-making, leverages data when appropriate
- Tracking, Measuring & Analyzing – Builds and maintains systems and procedures to track data and progress towards individual and organizational goals; analyzes data thoroughly to determine trends & opportunities
- Learning & Developing – Pursues opportunities to deepen and expand skill set regularly; implements new strategies with fidelity and shares learning with others
Functional Knowledge - What do you know a lot about?
- Accounting & Auditing
- Information Technology
- Organizational / Business
- Financial Systems (ADP, Intacct, Concur, etc.)
- Knowledge of A/P system and process
Compensation, Benefits & Applying
Educators for Excellence (E4E) is committed to valuing team members holistically in appreciation of their contribution to the organization’s success and for the good they create for society as part of our mission. While there are many facets of the “Total Rewards” package that come with working at E4E, compensation is a significant factor in a team member’s decision to work here. As such, we strive to attract, retain and reward top talent by offering competitive salaries and benefits that are equitably and transparently administered. Therefore, we do not engage in salary negotiations - our first offer is always our best offer!
The salary band for Accounting Associate is $59,918 - $81,065.
*based on NYC cost of labor and adjusted for candidates in different geographic regions.
Within this range, our competitive, non-negotiable salary offer will be based on a candidate’s relevant experience and credentials, role-related competencies assessed through our robust hiring process, and geographic location.
Educators for Excellence (E4E) believes in providing employees with benefits to support self-care, wellness, and financial stability. We value the whole person and provide benefits such as; paid time off, health insurance plans, competitive salaries that include pre-tax benefits, and cell phone reimbursements. See more information about our benefits here.
Applications should be submitted by our application deadline by Tuesday, October 12, 2021.
E4E is an equal opportunity employer. We predominantly partner with low-income communities of color. Therefore, though race and other identity markers are never used to make final hiring decisions, we place a particular focus on recruiting staff members who share the backgrounds of the communities we serve.